Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

Beef Enchiladas

For dinner tonight, we had beef enchiladas - I've tried numerous recipes over the years, but none were that great at home, and if there were decent, they required too much work.

Using bits and pieces from the recipes I've found along the way, I came up with one that the boys in my house like - I didn't even make the girls try it (bad mom!!) but next time they will. I was worried about it being too spicy, and it wasn't, but there was the tiniest kick to it.

The cut of meat I used was stew meat, which can be scary...it's not a very tender cut, and can easily be grainy, chewy and downright hard to eat. This took about an hour to cook, and the meat was incredibly tender - it was great!

This recipe was really very simple, inexpensive and could be made ahead (frozen even, I think!) And, there are a ton of modifications to this that you could make - my version is pretty simple to please my household, but feel free to be adventurous and make your own version - and let me know how it goes!


Beef Enchiladas

1 Tbsp. olive oil
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 pounds stew meat
1 can enchilada sauce
1 can water (use enchilada sauce can)
1 can beef broth (use enchilada sauce can)
1 can fat-free refried beans
12 corn tortillas
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (I used reduced fat cheddar)

1. Heat oil in large pot over medium heat; add garlic and stir until fragrant.
2. Add meat, enchilada sauce, and 2 cans liquid; bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to medium and cover; allow to cook for 1 hour (don't open the lid).
4. If needed at the end of the hour, add a little water or broth and simmer for a few more minutes.
5. Shred your meat - I use my kitchen-aid with the paddle attachment to make quick work of this, which is amazing!!! I would highly suggest it...if you don't have one, you can use two forks to shred right in the pot.
5. Place meat back in the liquid and add in refried beans; stir well to combine.
6. Place tortillas inside 2 paper towels; sprinkle paper towels with water and fold over to seal in tortillas.
7. Microwave on high for about 30 seconds, to soften the tortillas.
8. Place 2-3 Tbsp. mixture inside each tortillas; fold and place seam side down on a cookie sheet.
9. Repeat until all tortillas are filled and arranged on cookie sheet.
10. Pour remaining sauce over the top and sprinkle cheese evenly.
11. Broil for 4-5 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment