Pages

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Shredded Chicken with Spicy Peanut Sauce

I do a lot of cooking in our house over the weekend for the week, which makes it NICE to come home and not have to do much of anything to get dinner on the table.

Today was not one of those days - the plan was Shredded Chicken with Spicy Peanut Sauce, but I did not get it made ahead of time.

I was THIIIIIIIS close to grabbing a pizza or something easy on the way home, but I knew I'd feel better about dinner if I cooked it, since that's what I'd planned.

I was reminded tonight about how incredibly easy and versatile this dish is. From start to finish, it took almost 30 minutes - not bad!

This recipe could easily be modified or tweaked for dietary restrictions or preferences, and I LOVE that everything doesn't have to be precise when it comes to measurements. In fact, I didn't measure anything in the recipe tonight - I just eyeballed it...if something is a little off, you can just add a splash of this or that until it's just right. It can also be quite healthy, if you use healthier versions of some of the ingredients.


Shredded Chicken with Spicy Peanut Sauce

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2-3 cloves fresh minced garlic
1/4 tsp. fresh minced ginger (I often leave this out, but will add it if I have it)
pinch of red pepper flakes (you can omit this for kids or if you don't like spicy)
1/3 cup (or large spoonful!) of reduced fat or natural peanut butter
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp. white vinegar
Optional: handful of cilantro
1 cup sugar snap peas (I usually use frozen; you could also use onions, bell peppers, etc.)

1. Heat non-stick skillet over medium heat; sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper; saute until the middle is no longer pink.
2. While chicken is cooking, heat vegetable oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
3. Add garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes and stir until heated through and fragrant (be careful not to burn!).
4. Add peanut butter and soy sauce; stir until peanut butter is melted and mix well to combine.
5. Add vinegar and cilantro and incorporate into sauce.
6. Transfer sauce to a blender and blend at a low speed until all ingredients are combined.
7. Return sauce to pan and turn heat to low.
8. Add in peas (and/or other vegetables) and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
9. While sauce is simmering, transfer chicken to a cutting board and shred with two forks, or use my favorite method and throw them into your Kitchen Aid and use the paddle attachment to do the shredding for you!
10. Place chicken in a large bowl and add sauce; mix well to combine.
11. Serve with rice, quinoa, over a bed of greens, or in large lettuce leaves as wraps.

Tips:

* I keep fresh ginger in my freezer, and just cut a couple of small pieces when I make this - since you put it into a blender later, it doesn't matter that the ginger is not minced!

* This recipe freezes well, and makes a great lunch - it's even better leftover!


No comments:

Post a Comment