Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Slow-Cooked Carnitas and Cilantro-Black Bean Puree

I came across this recipe from Our Life in Food not too long ago (great blog, by the way, I spent much of that evening perusing all their recipes and fun posts...pinned a ton of ideas to try!). These carnitas look amazing - heck, everything on the site looks amazing! I swear I could smell them just from looking at the pictures and reading the recipe!

So I set out to try these with a few variations to the original recipe. They turned out SO good. It was hard to let them go without disturbing them, but apparently I made up for all the nibbles I would have taken along the way by having a TON at dinner (and a couple of meals throughout the rest of the week). I paired the carnitas with a cilantro-black bean puree (recipe of my own!) and it was a great side dish that complemented the meat very nicely.

What I also loved about this meal was that it is SO easy to make - it is definitely a go to in my book from now on! And you don't have to have anything out of the ordinary to make it!

So, here is the recipe for both the carnitas and the black bean puree. Enjoy!

Slow-Cooked Carnitas
1 1/2 lbs. pork shoulder, cut into cubes
1/2 cup chicken broth
fresh garlic (I used the garlic from Mike's game day snack #1) - I didn't mince or chop the cloves; I figured I would just remove them later, but they cooked completely down and I couldn't even find them!
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper

1. Spray a large pot with non-stick spray, or pour a little olive oil in and mix around to cover the bottom of the pot. Add in pork shoulder and then top with all remaining ingredients (no need to stir!).
2. Add enough water to almost cover the meat; turn on high until boiling.
3. Once boiling, reduce to medium-low and cover; let it go for TWO hours and don't take off the lid (it's a hard two hours, but if you're like me, you've got plenty to do to keep yourself busy!).
4. After two hours, pop off the lid and stir it all around (it should begin to break apart at this point pretty easily).
5. Increase your heat to medium and allow the meat to cook for about another hour (your goal is to create some of that browned crispy yumminess on the meat AND the bottom of the pan, but you don't want to burn anything!). Stir occasionally. If needed, add some additional chicken broth or water during this process (I added a little chicken broth every time the liquid on the bottom started to dry out too much).
6. Tun off the heat and use two forks (or just one spatula like I did since it was so tender!) to break up the meat into bit size pieces/shreds.


Cilantro-Black Bean Puree
1 can fat-free refried beans
1 can black beans
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. garlic powder (or fresh minced garlic)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
salt/pepper to taste

1. Add refried beans to a medium size pot and a little water; simmer over low heat.
2. Drain and rinse black beans; add to refried beans and mix well.
3. Add in remaining ingredients (save a pinch of the chopped cilantro, or have some more available nearby!) and stir to combine; allow mixture to simmer for 6-7 minutes.
4. Transfer mixture from stove to a blender and pulse several times until desired consistency is reached.
5. Transfer beans back to stove and allow to simmer for 2-3 more minutes.
6. Top with reserved cilantro and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment