Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

Menu Planning Monday No.1 - How I Do It

During the week, I don't have time or energy to think about what to make for dinner...nor do I have the energy to think about breakfast or lunch for the next day for any of us! A long time ago, I started planning each week (Monday - Friday, with weekends usually eating leftovers or eating out) over the weekend, and then spending much of my afternoon on Sunday cooking, or prepping our meals. This has been a LIFE SAVER on so many occasions - I've gotten pretty efficient at it too!

I created an excel spreadsheet that has spots for each meal, each person, each day. As I plan meals, I list the grocery items I need underneath the list. Then, before I go to the store each weekend, I print the list and scan through my freezer/pantry to figure out what I already have and mark that off the list (I used to just not put it on the list, thinking "oh I've got some of that" until I started running out...so now it's a good way for me to check the supply of some staples, and if it's running low, it stays on the list!)

I try to make sure I'm always trying out new recipes, but rotating some of our favorites too...I've started picking the same types of food for specific days, which makes my planning so much easier and faster.

Here's this week's menu - I'll get to posting all of these recipes as soon as I can!

Have a great week!

Breakfasts:
Mike: No-Carb Breakfast Lasagna
Lynne: Chia Pudding
Kids: Pancake Squares & Fruit

Lunches:
Mike: grown-up lunchables, mixed nuts, hard-boiled egg, grapes & cheese sticks
Lynne: Pasta Fagioli & Fruit
Kids: Pizza Puffs/Muffins, fruit, homemade fruit roll-ups

Dinners:
Monday: Beef Enchiladas, Corn, Fruit & Yogurt
Tuesday: Shredded Chicken with Spicy Peanut Sauce, Rice, Fruit & Yogurt
Wednesday: Oven-Toasted Ravioli, Green Beans, Fruit & Yogurt
Thursday: Crockpot BBQ Chicken, Corn, Fruit & Yogurt
Friday: Shish-Kebabs, Roasted Green Beans, Fruit Salad

I've already had to modify this a little bit, because we had a busy weekend and I didn't get to cook some of the stuff on the list. So, you may see some repeats for next week. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment