Pages

Friday, September 14, 2012

Game Day Snack #1 - Antipasto Platter!

I am not a football fan. At all. Not even a little bit. BUT, my husband is a HUGE fan. So, one of the things I take pleasure in doing for him that allows me to share in something he loves, even if I don't love it too, is "game day snacks". For each game, he gets a special snack (or meal, depending on what time the game is). We've been married for over 9 years now, so I have a decent idea of what he likes, doesn't like, and really enjoy trying out new recipes for him - we are not an extravagant foodie family (who could be with a ladybug that won't eat much?!) so I get to take some liberties with these snacks and try out things that I wouldn't normally try out on a house where there are more children than adults. It also accomplishes two other things in my family:

1. It teaches Josh what kind of wife to look for - I want him to have a wife that will do these kinds of things for him. And not only do them, but enjoy doing them.

2. It teaches my girls what kind of wife to be. I want them to see me planning Mike's snacks, making them, giving them to him, having fun all along the way. I want them to delight in their husband, and in doing little things for him, like I do for their dad. 

In my head, I'm a WONDERFUL planner. On paper, not so much. This year, I decided to get really ahead of the game - I found the Dallas Cowboys (yup!) schedule online, put it into an excel spreadsheet, and picked something for every single game of the season based on what time the game is. 

We're only one game in so far, but I'm having fun already. I did get a wrinkle thrown into my very carefully thought out plan though and this one is not that exciting on the "adventurous cooking" scale  (ok, if I'm being honest, it doesn't even qualify because I didn't actually cook) - Mike decided to start the South Beach diet recently, which includes a 2-week induction phase at the beginning. For those of you that may not know, induction phase of South Beach = no carbs. So, I had to change up the plans, but still managed to throw together a great snack for him, and he was happy (and full). 

The very first game days snack of 2012 was... an Antipasto Platter!

These are so easy, and so fun - no cooking required, which was good because A) I had already planned something else and needed an alternative quickly; and B) I could cut it up and get it ready and then take the kids to bible study (so that it would be waiting for him when he got home later that night). 

I went to my local grocery store and headed to the deli - picked out the cheese and meat, then headed to the olive bar and picked a few that I knew he'd like. Then, I just put each selection into a small container, cut up the cheese/chorizo and voila! 

As it turned out, even a garlic freak like my husband couldn't each much straight garlic, so as an added bonus, I threw that into a tupperware and added it to another recipe that I'll be sharing soon.

Bon Apetit!



No comments:

Post a Comment